It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Division of Gen Ed: Mathematics: MA 097 Begining Algebra
Research and Resource Connections for Mathematics Courses
This course represents development in algebraic and function concepts above Principles of Mathematics and below Intermediate Algebra. The course includes: a review of number and equation properties, data analysis, interval notation, and scientific notation; a study of function representation, behaviors of the linear, quadratic, absolute value, and square root functions. It also includes a deeper analysis of: arithmetic operations on polynomials, factoring, linear and quadratic equations, and solving equations.
ALEKS Corporation is a leader in the creation of Web-based, artificially intelligent, educational software. ALEKS assessment and learning technologies were originally developed by a team of cognitive scientists and software engineers at the University of California, Irvine, with major funding from the National Science Foundation.
Key Topic Areas
1. Identify the Real Number System: Integers, Rationals, and Irrationals
2. Employ variables and the algebraic method to generate algebraic expressions
3. Utilize the arithmetic of algebraic expressions; the use of the commutative, associative, distributive, identity, and inverse properties, the use of the order of operations, and the use of integer exponents and the rules of exponents
4. Simplifying algebraic expressions, including algebraic fractions
5. Use scientific notation
Key Topic Areas
6. Solve linear equations and inequalities in one variable: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division properties of equality and inequality
7. Create equations that model real world situations given in application (word) problems
8. Solve polynomial arithmetic, including multiplying and factoring polynomials
9. Evaluate roots and radicals including radical equations
10. Utilize the Cartesian coordinate system and the graphing of lines including the slope of a line and the different standard forms of the equation of a line
Report Issues or Problems
If any of the links on this page are not working or if there is a question about the information and content provided- please notify the Director of Information Resources by emailing email@example.com